Welcome to the Baskin Lab!
We are a young laboratory in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and the Weill Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology at Cornell University. Our research centers on pioneering innovative chemical approaches to probe the cell biology of diverse classes of lipids, with a major focus on developing new molecular imaging methods.
Lipids are a diverse group of metabolites that function as energy stores, components of membranes, and signaling molecules, and dysregulation of lipid metabolism occurs in many diseases. While lipids have been traditionally studied using in vitro or genetic techniques, chemical biology approaches can enable the rapid and precise interrogation of lipid biology within living systems. The Baskin Laboratory deploys a unique blend of chemical biology, biochemistry, and cell biology approaches to develop innovative methods for imaging and probing various classes of lipids in vivo. Collectively, our studies elucidate mechanisms of fundamental biological processes and also contribute to the understanding of diseases caused by perturbations in lipid metabolism, including cancer and neurological diseases affecting the myelin sheath such as multiple sclerosis.
Group Meetings are Saturdays at 9:30 AM in 421 Weill Hall unless otherwise noted.
Schedule for Winter/Spring 2019
2/2 Literature (Jessica, Tim)
3/9 No group meeting
4/13 Literature (Harry, Adnan)
4/27 No group meeting
5/4 No group meeting
- Jan. 2, 2019: Welcome to our lab’s newest member and first postdoctoral scholar, Dr. Brittany White! Brittany comes to our lab from the University of Oregon, where she just completed a PhD in Organic Chemistry, focusing on synthetic methods and biological imaging applications of carbon nanohoops.
- Nov. 30, 2018: Our work on phosphoinositide signaling, recently funded by the NIH, is featured on the Cornell Research website!
- Nov. 17, 2018: Trends in Biochemical Sciences published an interview with Jeremy titled A Life at the Interface Between Chemical and Cell Biology.
- Oct. 27, 2018: Tim’s review, “Greasing the wheels of lipid biology with chemical tools”, is published in Trends in Biochemical Sciences!
- Oct. 25, 2018: Our work on phosphatidic acid signaling is featured on the Cornell Research website!
- Oct. 23, 2018: Our work on phosphoinositide signaling, and its potential to yield exciting new scientific discoveries, has been recognized with an NIH R01 grant. Thank you to the NIGMS for supporting our work and to all Baskin Lab members for their hard work and dedication!
- Aug. 27, 2018: Welcome to our newest member, Paris Ghazi, an undergraduate Chemistry major!
- Aug. 19, 2018: Tim delivers a fantastic seminar at the ACS National Meeting in Boston, MA, as part of his recognition for being awarded the 2018 Gordon Hammes Scholar Award jointly from Biochemistry and the ACS Division of Biological Chemistry.
- July 27, 2018: Congratulations to Reika for passing her A exam!
- July 5, 2018: Congratulations to Kane for being named a Hunter R. Rawlings III Cornell Presidential Research Scholar!
- June 25, 2018: Congratulations to Harry for passing his A exam!
- June 8, 2018: Welcome to our newest member, Chris Diaz, an undergraduate from the HHMI CHAMPS program!
- June 7, 2018: Our work on phosphatidic acid signaling has been recognized with an NSF CAREER award. Thank you to the NSF for the support and to all the Baskin Lab members for their hard work and dedication!
- May 25, 2018: As the semester winds to a close, we bid au revoir to Wendy and Jonathan and wish them the best in their future endeavors. Congratulations to Wendy, who is graduating from Cornell this weekend and earning the highest latin honors and an honors degree in chemistry. We wish her all the best as she transforms from being a Cornell Big Red Bear to a Cal Golden Bear and will begin her graduate studies at the University of California, Berkeley this fall!
- May 4, 2018: Congratulations to Tim, for winning the 2018 Gordon Hammes Scholar Award from the American Chemical Society Division of Biological Chemistry and Biochemistry! Read more about Tim’s award and an interview with him on the ACS website and a highlight on the Cornell C&CB website. Tim will present his work at an award symposium at the upcoming ACS National Meeting in Boston this coming August.
- Apr. 4, 2018: The group is featured on the Cornell Research website: The Body’s Greasy Molecules—and Cancer.
- Apr. 3, 2018: Congratulations to Wendy for being awarded an NSF graduate research fellowship!
- Mar. 5, 2018: Congratulations to Felice for earning 3rd prize for her poster at the Cornell Undergraduate Chemistry Research Symposium!
- Dec. 1, 2017: Tim’s recent IMPACT paper in ACS Central Science is highlighted in F1000 Prime!
- Nov. 2, 2017: Tim and Felice’s paper “Ex Uno Plura” (from one, many) is published in Biochemistry. We look forward to it being part of the Future of Biochemistry special issue in Jan. 2018!
- Oct. 27, 2017: Congratulations to Jessica for winning the Proctor & Gamble Ph.D. Fund award!
- Oct. 26, 2017: Welcome to our two newest lab members, Xiaofu Cao and Weizhi Yu, from the Chemistry & Chemical Biology graduate field!
- Oct. 25, 2017: Tim’s IMPACT paper is featured on the cover of the October 2017 issue of ACS Central Science!
- Oct. 4, 2017: Tim’s paper on IMPACT is published in ACS Central Science. Congratulations! And many thanks to the Cornell Chronicle for highlighting our work: “Advance in lipid imaging could impact cancer treatment.”
- Sept. 19, 2017: Welcome to Jonathan Lee and Kane Wu, two new Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate students!
- June 21, 2017: Congratulations to Amith for being named a Hunter R. Rawlings III Cornell Presidential Research Scholar!
- June 19, 2017: Welcome to Jade Pace, an undergraduate from the HHMI CHAMPS program!
- June 14, 2017: Jeremy’s Beckman Young Investigator Award is highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle.
- June 12, 2017: Congratulations to Alex for passing his A exam! Our inaugural class of second-year students is batting 1.000.
- May 20, 2017: Congratulations to Tim for receiving an NSF graduate fellowship!
- May 19, 2017: Congratulations to Jeremy for receiving a Beckman Young Investigator Award from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation!
- May 19, 2017: Congratulations to Tim for passing his A exam!
- May 12, 2017: Congratulations to Adnan for passing his A exam!
- Jan. 28, 2017: Felice Liang, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate students, has joined the group!
- Dec. 21, 2016: Congratulations to Johnny Ye, Chemistry Class of 2017, on graduating from Cornell!
- Oct. 28, 2016: Welcome to our two newest lab members, Dongjun Liang and Reika Tei, from the Chemistry & Chemical Biology graduate field!
- Sept. 27, 2016: Tim’s paper is highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle: “New imaging method developed for lipid with many functions.”
- Sept. 16, 2016: Tim’s paper is published in Angewandte Chemie. Congratulations!
- July 11, 2016: Our research was highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle and the College of Arts & Sciences (and, briefly, the Cornell homepage)!
- June 1, 2016: Amith Punyala, a Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- May 16, 2016: Alex Batrouni, a graduate student from the BMCB program, has joined the lab. Bienvenue!
- Mar. 1, 2016: Jeremy is named a Nancy and Peter Meinig Family Investigator in the Life Sciences.
- Jan. 13, 2016: Welcome to Alex Batrouni, a graduate student from the Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology field, who is rotating in the lab for the next couple months.
- Nov. 16, 2015: Jeremy’s work from his postdoc connecting plasma membrane phosphoinositides to a brain white matter disease is published in Nature Cell Biology and highlighted in the Yale News and the Yale Daily News.
- Nov. 5, 2015: Jessica’s work on the total synthesis of surugatoxin alkaloids from Chad Lewis’s group is published in the Journal of Organic Chemistry. Congratulations!
- Sept. 14, 2015: Wendy Cao, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- Sept. 8, 2015: Johnny Ye, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- Aug. 1, 2015: A hearty welcome to Jessica Daughtry, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology graduate student who has joined the group!
- July 2015: The website is up! The lab will open its doors in early August 2015.