Welcome to the Baskin Lab!
We are a young laboratory in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology and the Weill Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology at Cornell University. Our research centers on pioneering innovative chemical approaches to probe the cell biology of diverse classes of lipids, with a major focus on developing new molecular imaging methods.
Lipids are a diverse group of metabolites that function as energy stores, components of membranes, and signaling molecules, and dysregulation of lipid metabolism occurs in many diseases. While lipids have been traditionally studied using in vitro or genetic techniques, chemical biology approaches can enable the rapid and precise interrogation of lipid biology within living systems. The Baskin Laboratory deploys a unique blend of chemical biology, biochemistry, and cell biology approaches to develop innovative methods for imaging and probing various classes of lipids in vivo. Collectively, our studies will elucidate mechanisms of fundamental biological processes and also contribute to the understanding of diseases caused by perturbations in lipid metabolism, including cancer and neurological diseases affecting the myelin sheath such as multiple sclerosis.
Group Meetings are Saturdays at 9:30 AM in 421 Weill Hall unless otherwise noted.
Schedule for Fall 2017
9/23 Literature (Jessica, Alex, Reika)
11/11 Literature (Adnan, Tim, Harry)
11/25 No group meeting (Gobble gobble)
- Sept. 19, 2017: Welcome to Jonathan Lee and Kane Wu, two new Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate students!
- June 21, 2017: Congratulations to Amith for being named a Hunter R. Rawlings III Cornell Presidential Research Scholar!
- June 19, 2017: Welcome to Jade Pace, an undergraduate from the HHMI CHAMPS program!
- June 14, 2017: Jeremy’s Beckman Young Investigator Award is highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle.
- June 12, 2017: Congratulations to Alex for passing his A exam! Our inaugural class of second-year students is batting 1.000.
- May 20, 2017: Congratulations to Tim for receiving an NSF graduate fellowship!
- May 19, 2017: Congratulations to Jeremy for receiving a Beckman Young Investigator Award from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation!
- May 19, 2017: Congratulations to Tim for passing his A exam!
- May 12, 2017: Congratulations to Adnan for passing his A exam!
- January 28, 2017: Felice Liang, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate students, has joined the group!
- December 21, 2016: Congratulations to Johnny Ye, Chemistry Class of 2017, on graduating from Cornell!
- October 28, 2016: Welcome to our two newest lab members, Dongjun Liang and Reika Tei, from the Chemistry & Chemical Biology graduate field!
- September 27, 2016: Tim’s paper is highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle: “New imaging method developed for lipid with many functions.”
- September 16, 2016: Tim’s paper is published in Angewandte Chemie. Congratulations!
- July 11, 2016: Our research was highlighted in the Cornell Chronicle and the College of Arts & Sciences (and, briefly, the Cornell homepage)!
- June 1, 2016: Amith Punyala, a Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- May 16, 2016: Alex Batrouni, a graduate student from the BMCB program, has joined the lab. Bienvenue!
- March 1, 2016: Jeremy is named a Nancy and Peter Meinig Family Investigator in the Life Sciences.
- January 13, 2016: Welcome to Alex Batrouni, a graduate student from the Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology field, who is rotating in the lab for the next couple months.
- November 16, 2015: Jeremy’s work from his postdoc connecting plasma membrane phosphoinositides to a brain white matter disease is published in Nature Cell Biology and highlighted in the Yale News and the Yale Daily News.
- November 5, 2015: Jessica’s work on the total synthesis of surugatoxin alkaloids from Chad Lewis’s group is published in the Journal of Organic Chemistry. Congratulations!
- September 14, 2015: Wendy Cao, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- September 8, 2015: Johnny Ye, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology undergraduate student, has joined the group!
- August 1, 2015: A hearty welcome to Jessica Daughtry, a Chemistry and Chemical Biology graduate student who has joined the group!
- July 2015: The website is up! The lab will open its doors in early August 2015.